Spring is about letting go and starting fresh. I love spring cleaning so much, I sometimes start in December. (I blame in on my Virgo moon) There is something so therapeutic about clearing one’s space and preparing for the fresh start that spring brings. This is also so true with self care and taking care of your body. Sure there is the whole, bikini body summer thing, but to me that isn’t what wellness and fitness are about. To me, it’s about feeling strong and powerful in your own body. As I have mentioned before, I am not a huge fan of cleanses and detoxes that last weeks or a month. Instead, I am always looking for the balance of wellness and living and where those meet. I want to create routines that can stand the test of time and also fit with my busy, social lifestyle that includes happy hours and brunch. So I wanted to share with you 5 ways to incorporate spring detoxing into your life everyday. No matter how busy you are, these routine shifts are able to fit your schedule. These simple hacks can add so much to the quality of your health.
1. Start your day with a green smoothie or bone broth. Our Kale and Pineapple Detox Smoothie is a favorite of mine because the pineapple is a natural anti-inflammatory which is great if you are working out a lot. If you are not vegetarian, I recommend starting your day with bone broth a few days a week too. It’s a wonderful source of protein and collagen.
2. Upgrade your dental routine. Consider switching it an all natural toothpaste and mouthwash. Conventional toothpastes can be known to be made of ingredients toxic for the body, so why not make the clean switch here to natural toothpaste? It is a great way to long term detox your life without taking any extra time out of your day. There are so many great options. My favorite toothpaste is Uncle Harry’s Alkalizing Toothpaste. My favorite mouthwash is from Fig & Yarrow. The extra bonus to both of these products, other than that they are awesome and have completely changed my gum health, is that they both come in glass bottles instead of plastic.
3. Drink more water. Ok this one is obvious right, but I am first to admit I don’t do it. I certainly don’t drink enough water. Carrying around a water bottle can be a great reminder to keep filling it up and drinking throughout the day. I love these colorful water bottles from Swell. It will keep your drink cool for 24 hours, or warm for 12 hours. So it’s great for tea or bone broth on the go as well!
4. DIY detox baths. End your day with a hot detox bath. It’s easy to make your own. Epson salts help eliminate toxins and relax the body. Baking soda is great for softening and cleaning your skin. When taking a detox bath stay in for 20 minutes. If you can stay in for 30-40 minutes that is ideal. Try to take 2-3 baths a week. (If you are pregnant, have high blood pressure or diabetes please consult your doctor. Don’t drink alcohol when you are in a detox bath for risk of passing out. )
Here are 3 of my favorites:
- Relaxation Bath 1 pound of epson salt. 1 cup of baking soda. A few drops of lavender oil.
- Breath Easy Bath 1 pound of epson salt. 1 cup of baking soda. A few drops of eucalyptus and peppermint oil.
- Grounding Bath 1 pound of epson salt. 1 cup of baking soda. A few drops of frankincense and chamomile oil.
5. Roll it out. After your detox bath, grab a foam roller. Using a foam roller daily can help with circulation and inflammation in the body. It is so helpful for flexibility and recovering from your workouts. My favorite book for learning exercises is Taller, Slimmer, Younger. But fair warning, some of these exercises hurt so good! The IT band and inner thigh is no joke. But by using the roller regularly since the start of this year, I have noticed a profound difference in my shoulders and hips. Give it a try!
Wishing you all vibrant health and a beautiful Spring!