Wellness Challenge Week 8
This is the last post for my 8 Week Wellness Challenge. I can't believe that 8 weeks have flown by!! It has been wonderful to have a verbal (and written) agreement with myself to a commitment to my wellness. I started this challenge with the ambitious goals of working out six times a week. My realistic achievements were exercising 5 times a week, with one week totally off due to a nasty sinus infection. Part of wellness is listening to you body. In listening to my body I found that exercising 5 times a week is perfect for me. The two days rest allows for my body to recover and my schedule to be flexible with you know, life. Because things happen, and life happens, so it's good to have a little flexiblity.
Wellness Challenge Results
- I stuck to my food restrictions with a few exceptions to sugar. (a gluten free chocolate cake at a restaurant, because, duh.)
- Exercised 5 times a week, even while traveling.
- Started meditating for the first time in my life. (!!!) The coolest thing about this is that it wasn't even a goal of mine for the challenge, it just kinda organically happened.
- I lost 3 lbs. (yay!)
As I move forward, I realize that this Wellness Challenge has really become a long term Wellness Commitment to myself. I am going to continue these pratices for myself, for my well-being, and for balance in this crazy ride called life. Here is my Wellness Commitment to myself.
My Wellness Commitment
- Eat whole foods. No gluten, no corn, no soy and no processed sugars. (honey, maple syrup, coconut sugars fine) The no sugar and the no corn are the hardest part of this diet. But corn and sugar are so inflammatory and processed. The less inflammation in the body, the better I feel. The anti-inflammatory may sound limiting, but the possibilities are endless. Every recipe on ATC follows these restrictions.
- Excercise 5 days a week
- Meditate 10 minutes every day
- Floss daily (This may seem ridiculous, but I am the world's worst flosser, and after a recent painful and expensive visit to the dentist, it's time to just floss already.)
- Skin detox day. One day a week, use zero products on my face. Only water. I have been doing this more and more and my skin has literally stopped breaking out ever. It is amazing. And all you have to do is nothing, so that is cool for lazy Saturdays or a busy weekday that you don't mind going make up free. For more info on the reasons behind this skin detox read my book review of Skin Cleanse by Adina Grigore.
- Self care. Do something each week to take care of my self and my body. A detox salt bath at home, a massage, yin yoga, etc. I mean, who's to say that a mani-pedi isn't self care?
What do you do to seek wellness? What kind of wellness commitment can you make to yourself?
Founded by Denver-based artist Laura Krudener, Among the Colors is a lifestyle and community project focused on bringing color and creativity into your life. Featuring original content, collaborations with artists and makers, and guides to inspired living, Among the Colors offers passion and thoughtfulness to help enrich and inspire the art of everyday life. Through artist interviews, fashion profiles on creative women, and food and wellness guides, Among the Colors will curate a Contemporary Bohemian style authentic to it’s roots in Denver, Colorado.